Mackenzie Health Foundation
We are seeking an outstanding leader, collaborator, and relationship-builder to serve in the role of President & CEO. Reporting jointly to the President & CEO of Mackenzie Health, and the Board of the Foundation, the President & CEO will partner closely with the Mackenzie Health Senior Leadership Team, Foundation Board and staff, and the Campaign Cabinet to ensure successful completion of our landmark $250 million campaign for the new Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital, and transition to elevated and sustainable post-campaign fundraising.
About Mackenzie Health
In 2011, a new regional health system was created to serve the residents of Southwest York Region, including Richmond Hill, Thornhill, Vaughan, King, and surrounding communities. Under our unified project vision for our two-hospital model we will work toward bringing the best practices, the newest technologies and innovative models of care to enrich the health and well-being of our diverse community.
Mackenzie Health has a laser-focus vision to create a world-class health experience for every patient and family, every time, because our community deserves nothing less.
We continue to take confident steps to meet our mandate, and are delivering solutions in critical areas such as addressing our capacity challenges, utilizing a new electronic medical record system, and bringing innovation closer to home. We have made exceptional progress in the planning and building of Canada’s first smart hospital. As part of this process, we are also working to define our two-hospital model of care that will continue to put Mackenzie Health on the map for excellent quality care and patient safety. We are fortunate to have state-of-the-art equipment, smart technologies and world-class training to support us in bringing the best care possible to our community.
Above all, though, it is the people – selfless volunteers, giving donors and dedicated staff – who set us apart and for whom we are thankful.
The Mackenzie Health Foundation
The Foundation’s core purpose is to support the mission and needs of Mackenzie Health. The spirit of collaboration and partnership between the Mackenzie Health and the Foundation strengthens the impact we make together. Our people work closely to make our organization an exceptional example of excellence in community building.
The Foundation is in the midst of creating a dynamic and exciting future – a journey that takes dedication, investment, passion, and creativity in order to ensure that “Exceptional Care Belongs Here” in York Region. We are grateful every day for the generosity of our community and inspiring donor support of our landmark $250 million campaign – the largest fundraising campaign led by a community hospital in Canada – to build and equip Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital and enhance care at Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital. This is in addition to the $1.3 billion the Province of Ontario has invested.
Through levels of giving and community support combined with dozens of annual events involving thousands of caring individuals, we have now achieved $162 million towards achieving our bold campaign goal. We are now in the critical period to ensure the success of the fundraising Campaign up to and including the year of substantial completion (July 2020) and the occupation of the new Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital in late 2020. The Foundation, Cabinet, and Hospital must raise the majority of Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital funding by December 31, 2021 in order to ensure funding obligations are met.
Through our self-service model, Mackenzie Health will offer a breadth of programs providing increased and efficient access to health care. In Fiscal 2020 our Campaign Plan model calls for:
- An extraordinary production goal of $80 million in pledges and gifts towards campaign. This will include a significant naming opportunity donation
- Hyper-focused efforts to secure additional transformational ($1M) and leadership gifts ($100,000+)
- Full integration of major gifts ($25,000+) initiatives into Campaign
- Broadening the Campaign footprint and visible presence, including the launching of a collaborative communications & marketing strategy, and a full public launch in fall 2019
- Recruiting and deploying an enhanced team of volunteers and staff passionately committed to Mackenzie Health’s vision
- Integrating annual fund and events messaging and appeals to further build the campaign prospect pipeline and engage selected targeted prospect and donor audiences
Beyond the campaign, the Foundation, volunteers, and hospital partners will focus on exceptional stewardship along with continued community and donor engagement to sustain strong levels of support for Mackenzie Health – because our community deserves the ultimate in care, and we are committed to providing it.
Exceptional Care Belongs Here:
BUILDING CANADA’S FIRST SMART HOSPITAL
Set to open in late 2020, Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital will provide 350 patient beds with the ability to increase capacity to 550 beds. The first new hospital in York Region in more than 30 years, it will join Mackenzie Richmond Hill Hospital in providing access to state-of- the-art health care to residents. Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital will be Canada’s first smart hospital, with integrated technology systems and medical devices. These critical care components will communicate directly with one another across the 1.2 million sq. ft. facility, maximizing information exchange and enhancing the patient experience.
Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital has been designed through the eyes of the patient. In late 2017, more than 450 people – including residents from across York Region, as well as hospital staff, physicians and volunteers – were able to experience “built to scale” patient rooms that were designed with input from patients, families and clinicians. The spaces were also used to test real patient care scenarios, allowing us to incorporate adjustments into the room designs to ensure we create safe and functional spaces that support our vision of creating a world-class health experience.
More Information about Mackenzie Health
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be a highly collaborative leader who has worked in complex organizations, who understands administrative structures and processes, and who knows how to get the best out of others. In addition to finishing our $250 million campaign, the President & CEO will build a different kind of Foundation as we double in size to sustainably bring in $8-10 million of funding per year. To do this, the successful candidate will create an excellent culture, team, and processes at the Foundation to in order to help the Hospital advance over the long term.
The campaign is going well, but there is still a lot of heavy-lifting to do over the next 18 months. The successful candidate will continue to build on our current momentum, both with the campaign and in terms of collaboration and integration with the Hospital. The ideal candidate will have previous change management experience, ideally having stepped into a large project midstream during a period of intense timing for deliverables.
Possessing strong internal and external leadership skills, the President & CEO will provide clarity for the team, the Board, and other leadership volunteer roles, and people understand where they fit into the inspiring vision of Mackenzie Health. The new incumbent will understand the benefits of a matrixed governance structure, and will seek to embrace both boards in opportunity-spotting and problem-solving. A cogent and succinct communicator, the ideal candidate will be direct, transparent, and will operate with a high degree of integrity to keep hospital leadership and both boards informed with information needed to drive strategic and fiduciary decision making.
Sophisticated and polished, the ideal candidate will have core strength in stakeholder relationship building and management. The new President & CEO will connect effectively with our unique and diverse community, quickly engaging with the community as a visible representative of Mackenzie Health. While the Foundation President & CEO will be an incredible relational salesperson who is highly focused on delivering on big goals in a compressed timeline, the successful candidate will recognize that executive leadership capabilities are more important than pure fundraising or sales skills.
Reporting to the President & CEO of Mackenzie Health, the Foundation President & CEO will serve as a member of the Mackenzie Health Senior Leadership Team. The new incumbent will build the credibility of the Foundation within the Hospital by developing strong relationships with President & CEO of Mackenzie Health, Senior Leadership Team, physician leaders, and Board of the hospital. A team player who is committed to an integrated organizational mindset, the President & CEO will quickly establish trust and will ensure consistent, ongoing follow-through. The successful candidate will also encourage foundation staff to build relationships with their peers across the organization.
A results-oriented leader with a strong programmatic understanding of fundraising or sales pipeline development, the ideal candidate will be an exceptional donor-centred salesperson who builds strong and lasting relationships for the Foundation. Personally focused on developing relationships with transformational-level donors, the President & CEO will lead-by-example in fostering a strong sales discipline within the team.
The ideal candidate will also support our campaign cabinet, who are excellent leadership volunteers, as they work with our largest donors and prospects. Providing support, training, and encouragement, the President & CEO will work with the Foundation team to motivate board and cabinet members, committee volunteers, and hospital leadership to successfully engage in donor relationship building and fundraising activities.
A servant leader who develops a supportive culture to ensure success of foundation staff and volunteers, the President & CEO will lead the team through the campaign and beyond, retaining and growing top talent in the Foundation. An effective strategist who helps the team be more strategic in their planning and activities, the successful candidate will be a coach who builds the skills of the front-line fundraising staff, ramping-up capacity and producing results.
Responsible for the Foundation’s leadership, operation and success, the President & CEO will have the following accountabilities to ensure that growth of organizational capacity, profile and net revenues are all realized.
Strategic & Operational Leadership
- Work closely with the Mackenzie Health leadership and the Foundation Board to chart the strategic direction and focus of the Foundation.
- This will include refreshing and refining the Foundation Strategic Plan, continuing with initiatives from Years 1 & 2 and accessing Year 3 initiatives.
- Reporting jointly to the President & CEO of Mackenzie Health and to the Foundation Chair, serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team of Mackenzie Health, continuing to develop stronger linkages, communications, and alignment.
- Collaborate closely and proactively with the President & CEO of Mackenzie Health, SLT colleagues, and other administrative and clinical staff to ensure that Mackenzie Health priorities and objectives are realized.
- Oversee the financial health of the Foundation through the development and reporting on the budget
- Continue to implement role profile accounting agreements for staff to align with the Foundation’s Strategic Initiatives and Business Plan KPI’s.
- Ensure the Foundation’s compliance with legal, regulatory, and ethical standards.
- Continue to monitor Enterprise Risk Management Factors.
- Prepare and execute operational plans for all strategic areas, including the campaign and other philanthropic revenue streams.
- Develop benchmarks to measure and monitor performance against these plans.
Board Engagement & Governance
- Work closely with the Foundation Board to continue to develop a strategic recruitment engagement plan for the Board and the Campaign Cabinet.
- Refresh and augment volunteer committees, incorporating initiatives from the Strategic Plan.
- Continue development of strong Foundation Board and Committees.
- Manage leadership transition and succession plan for the Board and Committees.
- Support and assist the Foundation Board in the identification and recruitment of potential senior volunteers and community champions.
- Actively encourage and support ongoing alignment between the Boards of Mackenzie Health and the Mackenzie Health Foundation.
- Attend all Board meetings and make presentations on a regular basis to various committees and groups.
- Collaborate with the Board to develop and deliver appropriate education, communication, and training to provide support to and assist Foundation Board members in fulfilling their commitments and duties to Mackenzie Health.
- Partner with Mackenzie Health to develop joint volunteer engagement strategies between Mackenzie Health and the Foundation.
- Engage with Board Members and other volunteers to create specific strategies that broaden awareness of the Foundation and increase engagement with each of the distinct cultural communities served by Mackenzie Health.
- Provide encouragement, inspiration, direction, and leadership to our staff team of 38 individuals.
- Model the values, attitude, work ethic, and behaviours expected of all Foundation staff.
- Work with the Foundation management team to ensure a positive and accountable organizational culture that encourages collaboration, innovation, and individual and team success.
- Ensure clear professional and performance expectations for the Foundation management team, including both individual and team accountabilities and goals.
- Ensure that a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible culture is maintained across all levels and functions of the Foundation.
- Oversee the recruitment and retention of staff, in collaboration with the Foundation management team, including hiring, performance management, accountability, annual reviews, and professional development, to ensure that the potential and success of each Foundation employee is maximized.
- Demonstrate professionalism, competence, and courage in handling any performance issues in a pro-active and timely manner.
- Partner with Human Resources in an integrated structure to support best practices.
- Lead the creation and execution of a comprehensive plan for revenue growth to support Mackenzie Health priorities, working with the Foundation Board and management team to modify the plan as needed moving forward.
- Lead the development and execution of campaign strategies and plans for each of the Mackenzie Health facilities and health priorities.
- Assume responsibility for relationship development, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a portfolio of transformational gift prospects, including individuals, corporations and organizations, and foundations.
- In collaboration with the Foundation management team, Board members, and Campaign volunteers, oversee the development of a robust pipeline of prospective transformational, major & leadership, and community donors who will be key to campaign success.
- Ensure that the Foundation’s mix of fundraising activities and staffing are appropriately balanced to support the strategic goals of the Foundation, and to ensure effective and efficient use of financial, staff, and volunteer resources.
- Establish activity and revenue goals, targets and metrics, in partnership with the Foundation management team, to ensure that all philanthropic fundraising efforts are effective, efficient, and successful.
Communications & Community Engagement (jointly with Mackenzie Health)
- Work closely with the Mackenzie Health leadership and the Foundation management team to translate Mackenzie Health’s priorities into compelling donor opportunities that positively impact both hospitals and the community more broadly.
- Ensure that compelling and impactful communications materials are created to keep donors and prospects engaged and updated on campaign and construction milestones, in order to motivate higher levels of giving and encourage lifetime support.
- Ensure high visibility for the Foundation and demonstrating leadership in educating the community about healthcare funding and philanthropy.
- Serve as a frequent speaker and resource for community groups, regional media, and others in the various communities.
- Participate in multicultural, faith, special interest and business association memberships and networking events to identify qualified volunteers and prospective new donors.
- Effectively engage and leverage physicians and other hospital representatives as appropriate, as well as senior hospital leadership in donor stewardship events and activities.
- Implement timely, effective and donor-centric stewardship strategies that are meaningful, equitable and build strong long-lasting donor relationships.
- Oversee the strategy for donor recognition for all donors.
Required Competencies & Experience
- Substantial leadership and management experience, both with staff and volunteers.
- Significant major gift fundraising and community engagement experience, either as a professional or as a senior volunteer.
- A solid understanding of the philanthropic landscape, either through professional practice or significant volunteer roles in major fundraising projects.
- Demonstrated relationship-building, networking, and relational sales skills.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the various cultures represented in our region.
- Effective and transparent communication skills, and an ability to inspire others through conversations, presentations, and writing.
- Highly collaborative style, and experience working in a complex, matrixed environment.
- Strong integrity and professionalism, and consistent demonstration of our values: excellence, leadership, and empathy.
- Knowledge and understanding of the financial, legal and regulatory requirements of a not-for-profit corporation.
- A university degree is required for this position; an advanced degree and/or ongoing professional development in management/leadership would be preferred.
- An understanding of a hospital ecosystem would be an asset, but is not a mandatory requirement.
- While residency in York Region is not required for candidates, we hope that our leader will chose to live in one of the wonderful communities which we serve.
For More Information
The Board of Directors of Mackenzie Health Foundation has engaged KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) to lead this search on our behalf. Individuals who have personal interest in this philanthropy leadership opportunity are encouraged to contact Tara George, Partner / Lead, KCI Search + Talent at: email@example.com. Nominations are also invited.
Expressions of interest are requested by September 9th, 2019. Please note that all candidates will be asked to submit a resume and a letter of interest by this date.
To view the full Executive Brief, please visit: www.kcitalent.com
The Search Committee is committed to the highest level of confidentiality in this search. Please be assured that all inquiries and nominations will be treated with respect and discretion.
Mackenzie Health is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer committed to providing accommodations for applicants upon request at any stage of the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code