Mennonite Economic Development Associates (MEDA) is an international economic development organization whose mission is to create business solutions to poverty. Founded in 1953 by a group of Mennonite business professionals, MEDA partners with the poor to start or grow small and medium-sized businesses in developing regions around the world. MEDA believes that all people deserve the opportunity to earn a livelihood and that unleashing entrepreneurship is a powerful way to sustainably alleviate poverty.
Today, MEDA is a multi-faceted global enterprise with some $30 million in revenues from government and institutional grants, charitable donations, and professional fees. Working with 246 local partners, MEDA has helped establish sustainable local businesses and employment in 62 countries, providing opportunities for more than 90 million families to elevate themselves from poverty.
The CEO is a proven leader and entrepreneur with experience in international development and a track record of success in business, finance, risk management, operations, and organization building. A strategic thinker, he or she is experienced in coordinating the implementation of a vision and in establishing crucial relationships with individual, corporate and institutional funders and local business partners. The CEO is a person of Christian faith who models Anabaptist MEDA values while leading a diverse and able team.
- Ensures the successful implementation of MEDA’s strategic plans and policies in alignment with the MEDA Board.
- Represents the organization to the constituency, board, institutional donors and the general public as the chief spokesperson and advocate and ensure that adequate private donor funds are raised.
- Translates the organizational mission and vision into direction-setting goals; monitor and reports on progress.
- Reports to the board and MEDA members on progress as required and ensure they have the information and resources required to be a strong and active board.
- Ensure appropriate staff, structure and systems (including human resources, security, knowledge management, and information technology) are in place to successfully achieve strategic plans.
- Provide leadership for program operations, assuring MEDA’s global leadership in providing business solutions to poverty and achieving results as per annual plans.
- Achieve sustainable bottom-line profitability; ensure responsible use of resources; ensure risk management and protection of assets; and maintain adequate controls and audits to assure legal and financial compliance globally.
Experience & Education:
- Executive management experience – strong business understanding; strong financial acumen
- International development experience with strong understanding of cultural sensitivities required
- Strong alignment with the mission and vision of MEDA
- Ability to articulate his/her own personal faith commitment
- Entrepreneurial acumen
- Strategic thinker; visionary
- Appreciation, support and personal demonstration of MEDA’s faith, vision and values
- Understanding and appreciation of business principles, international development and MEDA’s approach of creating business solutions to poverty
- Ability to travel locally, nationally and internationally (30% of time)
- Knowledge of marketing and fundraising
- Business or international development degree, preferably at a Master’s level
This search is being conducted on behalf of MEDA by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we’d be pleased to connect with them.
By June 4, 2018, please apply to 2 online application points with both your cover letter and resume:
Apply through our website: http://jobs.crawfordconnect.com/jobposting.asp?WebJobPostingsID=34, click the "Apply for this position" button; AND
By email directly to Janice Wooster at firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Job ID 100 – MEDA, CEO in the subject line.
Questions about position details? Please reach out to Janice Wooster at email@example.com at 1.866.647.5149 or 416-388-4049.
Issues with application process? Please call 1 (866) 647-5149 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and letter of interest online, both through our website and by email to our consultant, in confidence.