Location: Elora, Guelph, Tri-City and Neighbouring Areas, ON
Portage is a Canadian non-profit organization that helps people suffering from substance abuse-related problems to overcome their dependencies and live healthy, happy, and productive lives. Portage has various centres in Atlantic Canada, Quebec and Ontario.
In 1985, Portage set up the nation’s first adolescent substance abuse residential rehabilitation program in Ontario. The 40-bed centre is located on a 55-acre rural property in Elora near Guelph. It offers gender-separate programming and a mandatory onsite school accredited by the Ontario Ministry of Education. Treatment is based on the therapeutic community approach. An average stay is six months, followed by 18 months of aftercare to help youth reintegrate into society and maintain sobriety. Clients hail from all parts of Ontario. Admission requests are received through self-referrals, parents, family physicians, schools, CAS and criminal justice system. Portage Ontario provides a safe and secure environment where all youth, regardless of cultural, religious background, or sexual orientation, feel accepted and supported in resolving the issues that may underlie their substance dependency.
This is a new position that is designed to support the growth of Portage in Ontario. Reporting to the Director of Development, Ontario, the successful candidate is a generalist who will bring strong relationship building skills as well as fundraising acumen. The fundraising team is small and works closely and informally, without officialdom but with proven processes.
This position works out of the Ontario Adolescent Centre in Elora. This new role is in direct response to the expansion of programs in Ontario. A key requirement to note is that the Manager is expected to bring professional judgment and focused energy, to building a culture of philanthropy where giving becomes a by-product of a compelling mission and a commitment to relationship building and growth.
Fund Development: Donor Prospecting, Identification, Cultivation, Acquisition and Stewardship (40% of time)
• Works closely with the Associate Director of Development and other staff to develop the most effective fundraising strategies
• Manages special events that include both signature events driven by Portage and third-party events. Pedal for Portage is a fundraising event that raises funds for Portage Residential Treatment Centre in Elora. Portage also works with the community on third-party events that also raise funds and awareness of the Elora Centre.
• Donor development - develops and manages a portfolio of corporate donors/ prospects, small/ medium business donors/ prospects and community groups through identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. Focuses on increasing Intermediate donors ($500) to Major Gift levels ($5,000)
• Generates grant proposals in consultation and coordination with the Associate Director of Development
• Ensures donor files are accurate and kept current with status moves, actions, research notes, etc.
Raising Portage’s Profile: Marketing & Communications (40% of time)
• Community Outreach/Public Speaking – Proactively generates public speaking opportunities to speak about Portage’s services and accomplishments
• Makes creative connections between and among people, events, programs, and their associated circles.
Volunteer Management (20% of time)
• Develops relationships with and builds a volunteer base with the focus of creating an Advisory Board to support the work of Portage in surrounding communities.
• 7+ years of experience leading successful development of community and events-based fundraising
• Volunteer management experience
• Demonstrated experience and commitment to excellence in customer service while supporting internal/ external stakeholders, volunteers and donors
• Strong communication skills (written, oral and interpersonal) skills as the successful candidate will become the face of Portage Ontario in Central Wellington County
• Strong project management skills – strong event management an asset
• High proficiency in all Microsoft Office Suite programs
• A current driver’s license and use of a car is required. Limited travel to the Toronto office may occur. Frequent travel to meetings in/ around the Central Wellington, Kitchener, Waterloo, London areas is necessary.
• University degree or equivalent
• Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge/ Donor Perfect
• Passion for the mission
• Conversational French
This search is being conducted on behalf of the Portage Ontario Foundation by crawfordconnect, a search firm specializing in recruiting leaders and fundraisers for Canada’s non-profit sector. If someone you know may be interested in this position, please feel free to forward this document – we would be pleased to connect with them.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by email as two separate documents, in confidence, prior to November 4, 2019 at firstname.lastname@example.org and Fay@crawfordconnect.com cite project #136 in the subject line.
For more information about the position, please contact Fay Rotman at Fay@crawfordconnect.com or 647.338.7706. Priority will be given to early applicants. We thank all applicants for applying, however, only qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.