St. Joseph's Healthcare Foundation
Director, Development (Permanent, Full-time)
St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation
St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation is seeking a seasoned fundraising professional to take on a new role as Director of Development and join a talented team dedicated to raising funds to support Hope, Healing and Discovery at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton.
Core Function and Opportunity
As a member of the Executive Team, the Director will be an experienced fundraising leader and strategic thinker with a solid track record of success in managing a team of development professionals and accomplished in securing major and planned gifts.
The Director of Development will play an integral role in developing the strategy and ensuring the implementation of donor-centred fundraising programs that will drive growth, build a strong donor pipeline, deepen donor relationships, and provide donors with excellent stewardship.
Reporting to the Vice-President, Development, specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Strategic Fundraising & Donor Relations
• Plan, implement and oversee a multi-faceted fundraising program with a focus on securing and stewarding principal gifts, major gifts and planned gifts from a diverse community of organizational and individual donors.
• Lead a team of Development professionals to the successful achievement of revenue goals.
• Develop strategies to grow our fundraising program and meet revenue projections as per the organization’s five-year strategic plan, including overseeing specific campaigns for the organization.
• Build relationships with key stakeholders and secure philanthropic commitments from a personal portfolio of donors at the $50,000 and greater gift level, including individuals, corporations, foundations and organizations.
• Provide strategic direction for proposals, cases for support and other fundraising materials.
• Formulate and implement donor-centred and customized strategies for acquiring, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
• Work in conjuction with the Development Team to build and enhance a culture of philanthropy through a strong grateful patient, staff and physician engagement program.
• Oversee the planning and implementation of stewardship and recognition programs to ensure an excellent donor experience which shows the true impact of donor support.
Leadership & Managment
• Manage, coach and mentor members of the Development Team
• Oversee key administrative components of the Development program
• Work with the Development Team to prepare and manage annual business plans and budgets.
• Provide strategic leadership and support to the President & CEO, Vice-President, Development, and selected senior Hospital leadership and volunteers in moving top prospects through the donor cycle.
• Works collaboratively with Annual Fund & Donor Services, Finance & Administration, Special Events and Marketing & Communications teams to ensure the achievement of the organization’s mission, vision and goals.
• Follows industry best practices and provides support in the development and implementation fundraising policies and procedures.
• Represents the Foundation in the professional and philanthropic community.
• Post-secondary education;
• Ten (10) years of professional experience with a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in development, preferably in major gifts and/or health care.
• Demonstrated experience in requesting and securing major gifts, guiding capital campaigns, experience in gift planning, prospect management and research and donor relations
• Experience building thoughtful, engaging and unique donor relations and stewardship programs
• Demonstrated success securing donations at the major gift level and planned gifts
• Senior level experience in decision making, human relations, relationship management
skills and experience leading a results-driven team
• Financial management experience, including management and oversight of budgets
• Excellent oral and written communications skills and demonstrable skills and experience in writing and presenting clear and compelling funding proposals and requests
• Strong organizational and time management skills; detail oriented
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to build long-term relationships with prospects and donors
• Raiser’s Edge experience and CFRE designation would be considered assets.
Salary and Benefits
This is a permanent, full-time position and will require some evening and weekend work. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience. An excellent benefit package is included and a healthy and respectful workplace.
Application Deadline: Monday, February 17, 2020
Please send resume and cover letter by email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading: Director, Development
Thank you for your interest in working with St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation:
St. Joseph’s Healthcare Foundation works with the community to secure donations that help our Hospital to purchase life-saving equipment, to fund healthcare research and facility renewal, and to comfort and care for the patients we’ve been honoured to serve since 1890. Every gift to St. Joe’s supports hope, healing and discovery at our Hospital.