University of Guelph
If you’re a leader who 1) inspires those you work with and who work for you, 2) has a successful fundraising/engagement track record, and 3) develops strategies to engage constituents, strengthen connections and increase annual giving results, then don’t miss the opportunity to apply for this exciting new position in Alumni Affairs & Development (AA&D) at the University of Guelph!
AA&D builds lifelong relationships and partnerships that generate financial resources to support the University’s mission to improve life. This new role was created as part of a re-imagined team that is charged with ambitious goals to raise unprecedented annual philanthropic support and to be one of Canada’s most sought-after advancement organizations.
You’re a talented strategist motivated by measurable outcomes, inspiring others to do their best work, and you lead with humility and a collaborative approach to achieving shared goals. As a senior leader of Alumni Affairs and Development, you will exemplify the department’s values of respect, empowerment, integrity, appreciation and forward focus.
Reporting to the Associate Vice-President, Advancement (AVP), you’ll be the senior advisor to the AVP on all aspects of alumni engagement, programming, affinity partnerships, annual giving and the University of Guelph Alumni Association (UGAA).
You’ll manage relationships with the President and other senior University executives, senior fundraising and alumni volunteers, business, community and political leaders, entrepreneurs and alumni serving in high-level positions with a goal of engaging them in outreach and fundraising activities. As the Director, you’ll recruit and lead senior volunteers at a highly professional level and work closely with the UGAA Board of Directors serving as an ex-officio member.
You welcome the challenge of maximizing the University’s Annual Giving potential, collaborate with college and area-based advancement professionals, analyze and evaluate fundraising programs, and plan strategic approaches.
You remain current on best practices and know how to foster a culture of philanthropy within the alumni body. And that is likely not enough! You’ll also manage current and future affinity programs by planning and implementing strategies aimed at providing strong services and benefits for constituents as well as increasing revenue generation for the University of Guelph and the UGAA.
And finally, you’re passionate about building strong relationships both internally and externally, you understand how to create platforms to expand a donor base, and you love to listen, learn and communicate broadly.
If the following experience, attributes and competencies describe you, it means you must apply as you are the ideal candidate for the role of Director, Alumni and Annual Giving:
- A university degree and 6-8+ years of senior leadership experience in a university or comparable institutions;
- 6-8+ years’ experience setting and implementing strategy and plans for alumni engagement, programming and/or annual and leadership giving;
- Dynamic self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit who can think and lead strategically with imagination, and possesses a good sense of humour with the ability to challenge and inspire;
- Action-oriented and decisive, with a proven ability to accurately analyze information and act;
- Proven track-record of problem-solving with creativity and tact;
- Sensitive to the needs of individuals and utilizes strong political skills to manoeuvre within a complex organization;
- High energy with a positive attitude and the ability to provide ‘wow’ customer service;
- Ability to work well under pressure; persistence, perseverance, tenacity, integrity and patience;
- Highly competitive and self-motivated with the ability to “make it happen;” personal brand reflecting passion and urgency;
- Ability to coach and develop team members as well as influence colleagues and peers;
- Ability to become rapidly familiar with changing new technology and trends, and assess innovation for institutional benefits and impact;
- Demonstrated experience building consensus and influencing direction and priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically and creatively in a dynamic, high-pressure work environment, exercising tact, diplomacy, discretion and good judgment;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; and
- Significant experience in business management and development, including budget planning and analysis.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting for the role of Director, Alumni and Annual Giving, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/jobs. Applications, quoting Hiring #2019-0449, must be sent to: email@example.com. Closing date: Wednesday, August 28, 2019.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.